have you ever wondered ... HOW does a pumpkin grow? Suttons 'fun to grow' How To.. Pumpkin kit will help you out.
Your How To Pumpkin kit contains:
- Outer card pot
- Peat Pot
- Magic Compost Block
- Hundredweight Pumpkin Seeds
Sow: April - May and harvest your pumpkins September - October
How to Grow your Pumpkin
- Remove top from cup. Take out peat block, pot and seeds.
- Place magic peat block in bottom of Suttons peat pot, very slowly pour 1/3 cup of warm water onto peat block and watch it grow. Allow 5 minutes for peat block to expand fully. Fluff peat with pencil until crumbly.
- Gentle rubbing of the seed coat with a nail file prior to sowing will assist germination. Push 3 seeds on their sides down into the peat until they disappear. The seeds will absorb water and begin the germination process.
- Place pot in cup, replace top (upside down) and put somewhere warm until you see shoots appear in 3-7 days. Remove top and place under cup as a drip tray.
- Put somewhere sunny and keep damp until first leaf appears. Remove the peat pot from paper cup.
- Gently tease two fo the seedlings outa nd plant them separately. Water well and watch how quick they grow!
For Super Pumpkins - plant your young plants in the garden in June/July when plants are 15cm tall, 90cm apart. As the plants grow pinch the tips of the main shoots when about 90cm long. Yellow flowers will beproduced followed by baby pumpkins. Remove any weeds and keep the plants well watered and fed with liquid fertliser. You can pick your pumpkins when they start to turn orange from mid September onwards.
Fun Facts about Pumpkin:
- Pumpkins are a true native North America in fact 7000 year old pumpkin seeds have been found in Mexico!
- Pumpkins used to be used for storage containers and matting.
- Pumpkins were once believed to cure snake bites and remove freckles!
- The Irish bought the tradition of Pumpkin carving to the US they originally used Turnips for this activity. Pumpkins can weigh up to over 454kg.
- Why don't you watch your name grow! When a pumpkin is the size of a tennis ball write your name on it with a blunt pencil and it will expand as the pumpkin grows.
- These are not just for Halloween, the flesh is very good for you - it is low in fat and calories and filled with vitamins A, C and iron. Pumpkin seeds are high in nutrients like phosphorus, magnesium and protein.
Learning: Your child will learn elements of the National Curriculum including seed germination and plant growth.
View other similar products in:-
Information about Suttons
Established in 1806, the Suttons brand has consistently led the way in supplying the very best flower and vegetable varieties of the highest quality. As a subsidiary company of Vilmorin Clause & Cie, the largest packet seed group in the world, Suttons remains one of the UK?s market leaders. The Suttons brand became hugely successful internationally during the 19th and 20th centuries.